Wednesday, March 23, 2011

dante, the british

last weekend I was in rome and I visited la galleria d'arte moderna. the exhibition of Dante Gabriel Rossetti and Edward Burne Jones has an impressive title: the myth of Italy in Victorian England. Yes, indeed italians did it better and brits were followers. Pre-raphaelites were enthusiastic fans of Tintoretto, Botticelli, Tiziano, Giotto to name just few of the Italian masters that influenced the XIX century England.




I was impressed by the vivid paintings and sexy subjects and as I am not an art technician or critic I wonder how possible it was to obtain such results. I promised myself  I am going to study the catalogue and the techniques as soon as I can...



   Tilda Swinton?




                                                                              Edgar wondering
                                                                     a tribute to Ahmed Shawky

Italy is 150 years old but the brits have been relying on us for most of the last 2000 years. 
how's that possible? how come we ended up copying them?