Friday, May 13, 2011

Home is where I want to be

I have great expectations on paolo sorrentino new movie "this must be the place". I have almost never been so excited for an upcoming italian film but this time around I must admit I am holding my breath.
there are far too many elements that makes me feel emotional about this production. First of all the director paolo sorrentino is a neapoletan born just about 500 days later than me. I feel it's important that Neaples can still produce poetry and talent. and even more importantly the neapoletan masterminds around the globe are here to say the city is not all rotten but infact very contemporary and relevant, still.


Sean Penn performs the role of an aged and deluded rock star, I guess just like Mickey Rourke's aged wrestler in Aronowsky's epic. The look-alike of Sean character is very musch inspired by Robert Smith, another hero of mine. The music and the actual title of the film is by Talking Heads'David Byrne. A fantastic song , by the way. so many choices by paolo that seem so fucking cool, indeed. 


Sorrentino has produced at least two masterpieces already (le conseguenze dell'amore and il divo) and obviously the pressure is on him for this coming friday where at cannes festival we will have understood if we are really dealing with an italian revival. sorrentino seem to deserve it. and I am so excited...