Sunday, February 13, 2011

you'll be my friend

I've always thought facebook is killing the very idea of friendship and I've always refused to join fb as I consider it to be just as dangerous as a sea full of greedy sharks. 
blogging is instead a modern substitute for book diary where you can deposit selected notes and avoid readers comments if you prefer. the mysteries of your life are safe here. don't need to talk about private matters.

having said that I reckon 90% of the people I know have a fb account and use it to socialize, promote their ego and exchange info. the digital divide seems even more divisive where humans outside the fb empire are communicating with pigeons, letters, telephones and faxes. when I started to use the net in 1995 with that noisy us robotics modem there were only 90000 users, mostly in the states. in 2001 there were about 500 million users and right now almost 2 billions, about a third of the global population. penetration reached 80% in the states and 60% in europe but is still only 10% in africa and 20% in asia. facebook itself has reached a stunning 500 million active users and that figure was not including my friend artist ivano atzori.
until few weeks ago.



Ivano has a peculiar personality and you never know what to expect from him. his recent digital behaviour has created havoc and many are wondering why on hell he's refusing "friendship" on his recently opened fb account.





  

                                                                                                                                  











I have not an fb account, so i don't have this problem. I consider ivano to be a friend of mine and an interesting artist to follow.but what about these guys I screenshot? are they not sufficiently cool to be ivano's "friends"? he's online. oh yes. he seems to be there most of his time refusing "friendship" to hundreds while accepting only three of his mates. is he demolishing the idea of virtual friendship? is he having a nervous breakdown? is he just too arrogant? stay tuned....more will follow..